Monday, April 9, 2007

Lagerfeld: The New Yorker

I just read John Colapinto's profile on Karl Lagerfeld. I was enthralled by Lagerfeld's seemingly boundless energy.

photo courtesy of Scott Schuman, The Sartorialist

Here are some of his quotes:

“I hate name-dropping,” he said. Asked if the host was someone famous, he pursed his lips and muttered, “I am not knowing so many unknown people, hmm?”

“There is only one thing I am really interested in, and that is knowing—not for display or conversation or discussion. I never discuss.” He adds, with a Wildean flourish, “I like to look very superficial.”

Lagerfeld said serenely, “Normal people think I’m insane.”

Warhol cast Lagerfeld as an aristocratic German Lothario in a film called “L’Amour.” “Not a masterpiece,” says Lagerfeld, who discourages comparisons between himself and Warhol. “First of all, I’m better groomed. And, also, he pushed people. I never push people. There was something more perverted in his mind than in mine.”

“You can never say you’re a friend of Karl’s,” she said. “He can only say that about you.” She lit a cigarette. “He’s a diva.”

There are so many more fascinating insights into the life of Lagerfeld. Check out the article at The New Yorker.

++
SB

No comments: