Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dissecting White Leggings

You either love 'em or hate 'em. Live in them or cross yourself when you pass by their rack in Urban Outfitters.
I'm personally pro-legging, they're far more comfortable than pants and since I'm trying to cultivate a look of culture and class wearing something rather than nothing with short dresses helps the image.
So it started with the black legging. Simple enough, you threw them on under frocks that were more shirt than dress, hoping you could get away with it. Then you layered them with your Burberry (posers) rainboots and Frye boots.
But the rush of never having to wear pants made you crazy, so you bought leggings for fun, not just warmth and practicality. Lace on the bottoms of your leggings then patterns and now...color.

I have a serious problem with all of the white leggings I see on my daily walks to class. I may be wearing sunglasses so dark nobody knows if I am acknowledging their existence but trust me...I notice you.

My stunning friend HK is an example of how TO wear white leggings. She wears a brilliant turquoise tunic complemented by her rich coffee tone.
Since she:
a. has beautiful coloring
b. is wearing color
c. has a slender frame
d. is wearing shoes with a slight heel (result: toner calves) and
e. is wearing a long dress, not just a "long shirt," HK does not err.

I think the college girl is now searching for the "spring legging" and I want to let you know that unless you fulfill all of the criteria above, the only spring legging you should rock is the same pair you wore all winter: black. White leggings accentuate wobbly bits so why do that to yourself?
Just let your legs enjoy the sun and walk away from the white leggings. Please.

++
SB

6 comments:

lora said...

amen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for voicing this concern. Girls need to be warned about white leggings. For their own good.

Sophia said...

thanks for featuring me in your blog....oh wait you never did.

sdot said...

i don't approve of hareem's white tights because, frankly, i'd rather see her naked.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Unknown said...

Loved this post! Made me laugh... I totally agree. Nicely put.