Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Return to Prep School

As a prep school grad I have to pay homage to Ralph Lauren, the epitome of all that is preppy glamorous. His fall 2007 collection was delightful.
He played with volume which has been huge on the runways, but he used traditional fabric like tweed, keeping the preppy WASP feel strong in his clothes.

I love how this coat poufs slightly after the tight fit on the torso. It looks like a modern version of the ballgown so any woman in black jeans and an RL cashmere turtleneck can throw it on and instantly feel like a debutante. This coat is more than just a layer between you and the elements.
First off, Cecilia Mendez was one of my favorite models to admire on style.com. Her mod haircut and pixie face made her stand out in a sea of faceless clothes hangers.
RL brought bling back! But those spurts of gold, like this skirt, were paired with refined tops. The cardigan Cecilia wears frames her face with a ruffled neck that reminds me of an age when men wore tights. I LOVE it.
The showstopper of the RL show was this stunning gown. The cowl neck offsets the shoulders of the model and I love the the angular shape the top half of her body forms.

The delicate ruffles on lining the back of the dress made this piece a necessity for the red carpet. The zigzag shape snakes down her back so seductively. A peek of skin here and there make the dress less of a cheap thrill. I am willing to bet the audience of the RL show stared at her winding up and down the runway.



++
SB

1 comment:

Sophia said...

Thank goodness we're talking again. I can comment on this entry. First of all...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Yeah, that was for the new RL collection. I love him. He is my hero. And I live my life in his clothing. Just wanted to put that out there.