Monday, March 19, 2007

Back Again: Theyskens

Olivier Theyskens is known for his talent creating exquisite clothing.
However his purist policy (i.e. not deigning to create an "it" bag that mere mortals can purchase) did not spell out financial success and his gig at Rochas came to an end when the house closed.
Thankfully, he's back working for Nina Ricci and we have stunners like Reese's dress for the Oscars.
Eat your heart out Ryan.
I love the layers of regal purple forming the perfect train and how the dress softly cascades down her body without making her look like a deranged barbie doll (see penelope cruz, oscars '07).
From Theyskens fall '07 runway, these were my faves.

This jacket is sublime. I love the muted grey and the waves that cut across the front. The ruffles could be too girly but their definition adds a steely touch. Paired with grey jeans, this is an outfit I wish I could sweep off the runway.


This deconstructed dress is a little bride of Frankenstein. I can imagine it being picked out of an old chest, fraying at the edges, slightly decrepit. But I think its enchanting.
I wish there was a grey mist swirling around the model because this dress is frightfully beautiful.
Even with a yellow pattern there is an undercurrent of tension in the gown, a hardness that is very appealing in a world of pretty frocks.
++
SB